1 thinly sliced green onion, including the greens
3 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled
Zest of one lemon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon mustard sauce
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 6-ounce cans of solid white tuna, well drained and flaked
8 1/2-inch slices French or Italian loaf bread
1 thinly sliced tomato (8 slices)
4 ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp softened butter
- Mix the green onion, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard sauce, black pepper, and mayonnaise in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the drained tuna, mixing with a fork to break up the flakes.
- Lay out four slices of bread. Divide the tuna mixture evenly onto the slices.
- Top each bread slice with tomato slices and grated cheese.
- Spread one side of the remaining four bread slices with butter.
- Place bread slices, buttered side up, on top of the cheese.
- 3 Heat a large griddle, on medium heat (or couple cast iron skillets).
- Place the sandwiches, buttered side down, onto the hot griddle.
- Gently spread butter on top of the bread slices.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side.
- Then use a metal spatula to lift up the sandwiches and carefully turn them to the other side.
- Cook for another 3 minutes or so, until the second side is browned.
- Serve immediately.